Sunday, October 14, 2012

The Food That Tames My Dark Side

Believe it or not, I have a little bit of a dark side. Yes, I do my best to stay positive at every turn but when the cold weather and the frenzy of the holidays comes around, I have to admit, even I can get a little cranky.



That said, there are definitely some things that get me excited for the holiday season. I don't know about you, but many of the things that get me in the wintertime mood are food-based (of course!). As my boots and sweaters get folded back into my regular wardrobe, I start fantasizing about fireplaces (a rare treat), red wine and traditionally cold-weather produce like sweet potatoes & brussels sprouts. I know, I know, it's not cookies or cakes or giant birds, but I really do just melt at the thought of a bowl of mashed sweet potatoes - - nature's candy! 

Sweet potatoes (as well as Brussels sprouts, which I'll discuss next week) are generally available most of the year but are traditionally popular in fall and winter. This orangey root vegetable (which, yes, is different from the yam native to Africa & Asia) is not only delicious in a number of preparations but is also a great source of fiber and antioxidant vitamins A and C. 

Try them in any form you would eat white potatoes: roasted, mashed, or baked (whole or as fries). 1 medium sweet potato, baked in its skin, prepared without salt, or 1/2 cup boiled sweet potato, without the skin, will provide you with far more than a full day's supply of vitamin A, slightly more than a third of your daily needs for vitamin C, and about 4g of fiber (~16% of the needs for an adult woman and ~11% of the daily needs for an adult male).

Choose sweet potatoes with smooth, unbruised skins and keep them in a dark, dry place for up to three or four weeks.

You can be sure that when I'm hiding from the cold these next few months, I will be cheering myself up by snacking on sweet potatoes! 

Here are some recipes from Registered Dietitian and Food Network host, Ellie Krieger, to help you join in on the sweet yummy goodness:





And this Fall-Vegetable and Quinoa Hash with Poached Eggs from Whole Living magazine reminds me of the delectable hash I just recently tweeted about from the adorable Iron Hen Cafe in Greensboro, NC.

Stay warm!

No comments:

Post a Comment