Saturday, November 10, 2012

Join Me on the Next Step of This Voyage!

Hello Friends,

I hope that you and your loved ones made it through Hurricane Sandy safely and are receiving the support you need.

It has been a few weeks since my last post so I'll catch you up on what's been going on.

At the end of October I took a short break from posting to focus 100% on studying for my Dietitian Registration exam. That break was extended when my husband and I ended up temporarily moving out of our apartment as an indirect result of the hurricane. My test was initially canceled due to the storm but eventually I did take and pass the RD exam. So, now I am officially a Registered Dietitian!

It has been a long road to get to this point.
Or at least it feels that way. In 2007, I made the final decision to change careers and move from the media planning industry into the nutrition field. For the next four years I worked full-time while attending the graduate Clinical Nutrition program at New York University part-time. In that first year, my husband and I got married. A couple years later my family suffered a major loss. A year after that I found out I had early breast cancer or DCIS (ductal carcinoma in situ) and took a short break from work and school to have, and recover from, two surgeries. All the while I was volunteering with a Registered Dietitian in private practice and trying to devote a proper amount of time to nurturing my relationships and my overal health. Finally, as things were normalizing again, I was also wrapping up my courses at NYU and it was time for another major change. I had been accepted into the Dietetic Internship program at NewYork-Presbyterian hospital and would have to leave my job and my volunteer work in order to focus my time and energy on the internship. The year I spent at NYP was an emotional roller coaster ride for me but I am convinced it is the best Dietetic Internship program in the city and I could not have received such a thorough field experience elsewhere.

So here I am now and...can I tell you?...I am wiped! I guess I have a reputation for being this force that just keeps going no matter how hard things get. But I am just like everyone else and without a break here and there I will just collapse under life's pressures. I try to be honest with you all and share my story because I want people to see that I am no Wonder Woman and certainly not the most positive person in the world, so if I can get through difficulties and achieve my goals, you can too!

I'm so excited to see what the future holds and am geared up to start posting again! I can't wait to get back to what I love most: sharing, with you, my tips for fitting healthy eating and exercise into an already jam-packed life filled with work, family & socializing. How can you keep doing what you're doing and doing what you love if your body & mind don't have the strength to support you? I find keeping up my workouts and healthy eating habits especially helpful during the frenzy of the holiday season. So, I'm here to help you see that healthy living can be fun & easy. Follow me!

Cheers!
Diane


Click for Image Credit

No comments:

Post a Comment