Thursday, September 10, 2009

Kashi Frozen Entrees make for convenient, healthy & delicious meals

I can’t remember how I first learned of them but, as a nutrition student, once I’d heard about Kashi Frozen Entrées I was instantly intrigued. Could a healthy, well-balanced and delicious meal be found in the convenient microwaveable form I’d come to equate with junk food? I’m pretty sure the last time I had a “frozen entrée” (sometime in the 80s) it was a TV dinner that involved fried chicken and a brownie. On my next grocery shopping trip I slowly crept toward the frozen meals section, feeling somewhat ashamed & embarrassed, and plucked one of the small cardboard boxes from the freezer. I gave it a once-over. 340 calories. 11 grams of fiber. Only 1g of saturated fat. 24% of the daily value for sodium (not terrific but not terrible for a prepackaged meal). And an ingredients list full of real, natural, whole-food ingredients. This was all good news. But how did it taste? I tossed the box into my cart. The perfect opportunity to conduct my experiment arose just a few days later -- my husband would be coming home very late and I would have to fend for myself come dinner time. I followed the instructions on the box and heated up my Ranchero Beans entrée. It smelled so good that I couldn’t wait the suggested 2 minutes for the meal to cool slightly. The Ranchero Beans meal consists of the Kashi Seven Whole Grains & Sesame Pilaf, beans, peppers, onions and corn in a slightly spicy, zesty tomato-based sauce. The veggies are covered in beautiful grill marks that made me feel a real person had prepared my meal in a real kitchen. My meal tasted so fresh and was…dare I say it?…delicious! It really hit the spot and the portion size was just right to fill me up without making me feel stuffed. I’ve since indulged in a little Southwest Style Chicken and Lemongrass Coconut Chicken (there are 13 entrées to choose from) and each made for a fun & satisfying lunch at work. Kashi Frozen Entrées can be a convenient, nutritious & delicious meal option!

Allergy alert: Kashi Frozen Entrées Ranchero Beans contains wheat and soy. Consult the nutrition label on each of the Kashi Frozen Entrées products for additional allergy information.

Kashi.com

No comments:

Post a Comment