Thursday, June 17, 2010

Everyday vacations

I recently read an article about embracing the small vacations life presents us with on otherwise ordinary days. For the life of me I cannot remember what magazine this story was in, but I do remember it started with the author finding out she’d be waiting awhile for her friend to show up to a date they’d planned. Rather than allowing herself to become upset about the tardy friend, the author sat down to a cup of coffee and enjoyed the rare chance for some quiet alone-time in the middle of her busy life.

I’ve written about how exercise, yoga, meditation, sleep and positive thinking can all help relieve stress. Still, many people feel they just don’t have the time to fit in exercise or head to bed earlier. Why not experiment with taking advantage of life’s impromptu coffee breaks? The ones that happen when you've already got something planned and suddenly plans change, providing you the opportunity to choose between getting upset or taking advantage of the extra few minutes you've just been given to enjoy however you wish. Give it a try the next time a friend shows up late or cancels after you’ve already arrived. See what you can come up with the next time you find yourself waiting on a long line…or delayed at the airport…or stuck in the subway on a train that is being held up. Try to make the best of it the next time you are waiting around for the repair or delivery man to show up, or for the IT department to fix your computer at work.

Maybe you take the time to sit down and enjoy some peace and quiet like our inspiring author friend. Maybe you pull out from your purse that book you’ve been meaning to read. Or just take a moment to enjoy the beautiful day outside. Maybe you take in a movie on your own or just go for a walk. See what these moments inspire in you. Just yesterday as I waited for my husband to get out of work and meet me to go home, I came upon a free outdoor jazz performance. For a moment I hesitated and almost walked right by. Instead, I sat down and took a deep breath. As I listened to the music I looked around me and noticed for the first time what a beautiful day it was.


Image: djcodrin / FreeDigitalPhotos.net

No comments:

Post a Comment