Monday, January 28, 2013

Breast Cancer: Nutrition & Resources

Recently I found myself digging through some old issues of Today's Dietitian, searching for articles on vegan diets to help me prepare for my transition to Veganism next month (which I will most likely start blogging about next week). As I sat on the floor next to my basket of one of my favorite publications (TD is a fun, colorful and easy to read magazine geared to nutrition professionals) I noticed a theme: one after another after another article about nutrition and breast cancer.

In the past I've mentioned that I have had my own personal experience with breast cancerFrom the moment of my diagnosis, sharing my story and sharing all the resources I've learned about has become a passion of mine and a part of my daily life.
Just recently I became a volunteer for the Young Survival Coalition's Adopt A Hospital program. The YSC is an organization that offers resources, connections, outreach and support to young women diagnosed with breast cancer (before the age of 40). I found the YSC to be one of the most helpful resources for me during my experience. It certainly had the most lasting affect on me. I love to promote people, brands and organizations that I feel are doing something special and to this day I can't stop talking my head off about the YSC. Now, this program I am volunteering for, Adopt A Hospital, helps me do just that in a more organized manner. The YSC hooks me up with brochures and DVDs to deliver to the hospitals and doctor offices that I've reached out to (and that have agreed to participate) and I make sure they are stocked with great information about the Young Survival Coalition to share with their patients. I'm so excited to be able to give back to an organization that has given me so much and to have a means of sharing this wonderful program with even more people than those I can reach in person or through my social networks.

So back to that basket on the floor. As I pulled out all the articles about vegan diets, I also pulled out all the articles about nutrition and breast cancer and decided I should share those with you as this week's post; therefore, without further ado, please check out these great articles about the importance of good nutrition during and after breast cancer treatment - - and share them with someone you love...or even someone you just met!

Cheers! 
Diane

Nutrition and Breast Cancer - Studies Show a Nutrient-Dense Diet Plus Daily Exercise Can Lower Risk of Recurrence by Susanne Dixon, MPH, MS, RD Today's Dietitian Vol 14 No 8 August 2012

Nutrition Therapy During Breast Cancer Treatment by Lindsey Getz Today's Dietitian Vol 12 No 10 October 2010

Life After Cancer - Survivors' Care Following Treatment Is Vital to Maintaining Health by Lindsey Getz Today's Dietitian Vol 11 No 10 October 2009


Image: pinterest.com/youngsurvival

No comments:

Post a Comment