Tuesday, April 23, 2013

I Won't Leave Home Without THIS...



Before I became an RD I was doing the same thing everyone else is: trying to balance work, school, family and a social life with taking care of my body and mind. Heck, I'm still trying to do all those things! I used to load up on all the free health and fitness magazines that I got from my media jobs and I'd tear out pages about 15-minute workouts and fast healthy snacks.

My friends and co-workers saw my passion and would always ask me to share my secrets. As a dietitian, I still get that question: "What do YOU do?" People always want to know what I eat, where I work out and how I fit cooking and exercise into my own busy schedule. 

Today, I'm taking another page from my favorite magazines to show you what I do to stay healthy & fit even when things get hectic. 



I love when magazines give you a glimpse inside some celebrity's purse. It's just good fun and I always discover some product that I love. So why not open up my bag and reveal the things I need to have before I walk out that door! Here are my... 

Top 5 Things I Won't Leave Home Without:

A Satisfying Snack. A delicious healthy snack is good insurance against finding yourself starved but too busy to think beyond the vending machine. Aim for something with both protein & fiber. Nuts travel well. During their season, tiny clementines are super convenient. And you can't beat an apple and a squeeze pack of nut butter like the one pictured above, from Justin'sGet more snack ideas here.

Something to Sip. If I'm not carrying good ol' H2O in my stainless steel water bottle from Outdoor Products (this one's got sentimental value as it was given to me during my recovery from DCIS), I'm usually carrying a tea or coffee. Iced or hot, as long as they're unsweetened, tea and coffee are great alternatives for keeping hydrated. When you add milk, the protein (and fat, if you're not using skim) will hold you over between meals. I'll stop into one of my favorite cafés or steep a cup with one of the tea bags I'm usually carrying around. This one is Celestial Seasonings Decaf Green Tea.

Workout Gear. The Manduka eKO SuperLite Travel Mat really is super light but it's also super grippy and folds up small for travel. I use this mat so much I'm finally starting to wear it out! When you're carrying a mat, sneakers or gym clothes around all day it's extra motivation to make that workout happen... or else you shlepped that stuff around the city all day for nothing!

A Good Read. I use my subway commute to catch up on reading. I love all the same magazines you guys do: Prevention, Health, Self, Fitness, Shape, Women's Health, Men's Health, Whole Living, Yoga Journal, you name it. But my favorite industry publications are Today's Dietitian and Nutrition Action Healthletter. Both provide science-based nutrition information in a way that's so easy for non-dietitians to understand. Even my mom has a Nutrition Action subscription.

A Colorful Tote. Greater than my love of bright bags is my passion for supporting small businesses. This striped canvas Concalma tote has it all. Matilsha Marxuach's bold happy designs are manufactured in Puerto Rico and can been seen on young women all around San Juan. Use them to hold your snacks, magazines, gym clothes & last minute groceries.


No comments:

Post a Comment